Saturday 3 March 2018

Star Trek Discovery

This'll be the third post which I've written in a little over a week (possibly fourth, as I have another set of thoughts in my head) and it is simply down to having so many thoughts to jot down at once.

Like buses, I had nothing for ages and they all hit me at once!

So, anyway, I today thought I'd write down a few thoughts on a topic I've out off for the last few posts, Star Trek: Discovery. Now, this isn't a comic book and probably doesn't deserve my time here (although, for the record, there is a Discovery comic series out, I think), but after getting through the series I did have a number of thoughts and wanted to get them aired rather than just stew on, and ultimately forget, them.

These reasons are also why I'm writing about it now instead of putting it off in favour of The Old Guard, but I digress.

So Discovery, the newest Star Trek series for those not in the know or caring about such things, is a prequel to most Star Trek shows and films (not Enterprise) which does the usual trek thing of following a group of humans and the odd alien on their adventures through space. This series differed though with a more ongoing story and a lead character who was not the captain but a subordinate (she had a couple of 'ranks' in this series but we'll get to that) as she joins this mysterious new ship.

Now, I initially tried to watch Discovery upon its release on Netflix way back when (I wanna say October). However, despite it trying to get everything right in terms of the ships, insignias, etc, for me it felt like I was simply watching a J.J. Abrams Kelvinverse film scaled down for tv. Now, there is now problem with the recent Trek films (I enjoyed them), but I'm old school and so seeing more of this world didn't really interest me. Also, the whole plot in the first episode felt slow, dull, boring with the characters, particularly the lead of Michael Burnham a real struggle to emphasis with.

And so I gave up on it and that should have been that. Obviously, though, that wasn't the end or this would be a short post. What happened next was a conversation with some folks on Twitter, who all convinced me that the first episode should not be what I build my views on and that a few of them needed to be watched to really get a feel for it.

Therefore, after a little time of watching other shows and drumming up the courage to go back, I did just that, and am I glad I did! With my second viewing of episode one, I found it a lot easier to enjoy it and that only improved into episode two. However, it was episode three which really showed me what this series was and could be when I saw the Discovery for the first time, specifically its shuttle bay. The reason for this was that, while the Kelvinverse shuttle bay was massive almost like a proper aircraft hanger, this bay looked like it had been pulled from a TNG episode. This was what convinced me that the series was going to be more prime universe than Kelvin.

From this point the series only got better in my eyes as, while obviously stylishly produced, the series became more Star Trek as I was used to, albeit with a darker slant with the backdrop of intergalactic war. What really felt like a turnaround most though were the characters, all of whom became more and more intriguing than their initial introduction.

Chief amongst those was definitely Burnham who, after the events of those first two issues, felt far better portrayed and more likeable onwards. But the rest of the cast we're equally compelling, with Stamet's 'changes' over the series in service to his work, Tyler's apparent PTSD which became something different by the end and Lorca's all round mysteriousness. Then there was Tilly, who for some reason I did find really hilarious after an initial adjustment period to her. In fact, the only weak link amongst the characters was Saru, who felt too bureaucratic but turned it around in the last few episodes with a nice St. Crispins day speech and other actions which really warmed him to me.

The episodes themselves, while also cool, showed a very Trek formula (again with a twisted slant) and I enjoyed them plenty.

And then we got to the Mirror Universe...

Now, I love the Mirror Universe and so might be a bit biased, the later episodes which saw discovery transported there were absolutely fantastic and really sold me on this show. The change in filming style (it looked like it had been shot with a harsher light) gave it its own style which really gave its own punch. What I think I enjoyed most about these episodes though was the amount of focus they gave the Mirror Universe and the depth of its background, tying up the storylines from Star Trek Enterprise (which series went out of its way to acknowledge) regarding the Defiant.

Also, as a side note, I think this series also implied that Phillipa Georgiou is Hoshi Sato from Enterprise's descendent, based on the events of the Mirror Universe.

I will admit that it wasn't all perfect, however, as the reveal of the mirror Georgiou and all other occupants being light sensitive came out of nowhere, and (to my knowledge) not really in keeping with what has been made canon previously. That said, this is a small quibble as it was necessary for a major
plot reveal and, hopefully, it'll be better absorbed into the canon in future stories (like IDW's Through the Mirror).

I think I've reached the end of my thoughts (I thought I had more and wish I'd written this sooner to air them) and so I'm gonna wrap this up by admitting that Star Trek Discovery is a prime example for me to always give things I didn't enjoy a second chance. This is because, while I didn't enjoy Discovery that first time, I stuck with it and gave it another shot and I am glad to say I don't regret it at all.

I now look forward to a second series and, hopefully, more of the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment