Friday 12 June 2015

Review: Red Mask from Mars #1

I have to say, I feel a little guilty when it comes to creator Vince Hunt (@jesterdiablo) and his Red Mask from Mars comic book. I first met Vince and picked up his book at the Bristol Comic Expo in the spring of 2014 and he's a cool guy. Funny on Twitter and always willing to favourite stupid things I say (which, in itself is an achievement).

Therefore, with that in mind, I thought I'd give issue 1 a second read through and actually write down my thoughts on this book. So, now I have read it again and I've got to say, while I recall thinking it was funny the first time round, this time I thought it was much more hilarious.


While the story is a simple affair, main character is a man wearing an alien red mask which gives him superpowers that he uses to kill monsters, it's the writing that I really enjoy here. I remember first time thinking that Red Mask was too Deadpool for my taste but, upon a second read, I've realised that he is more closely and better compared to Hellboy with a hint of Deadpool. Hell, even the supporting cast feels Hellboyesque (and that isn't a problem for me). Of course it isn't Hellboy and the sharp wit and banter between characters is proof of that.

Then of course there's the art, which is what I feel most guilty about. I should have been shouting praise for the art from the roof tops years ago because of the inking, which is as sharp as the words being said. The colours give it some extra pop, but I'd read this book again and again in black and white, the art itself is that much of a draw. Of course, being a picky soul, I will point out that the lettering needs work with a few spelling mistakes scattered about, but hey, nobody's perfect right?

At the end of the day, I should have said what an enjoyable little read this book was years ago, but hopefully I'll be more on the ball if/when there's a second issue. In the meantime, though better late than never, It was a good book Vince, thank you for selling me it.

No comments:

Post a Comment