Thursday 12 June 2014

Comixology's Summer Reading List

So, for the last under three weeks, Comixology have compiled the Summer Reading List. This is basically twenty books (one every day) which are made free to all readers for a single 24 hour period in the hopes of enticing new readers to pick the rest of those series for the foreseeable future.

Well, it's (almost) over now and it was a pretty eclectic list of titles. These comic books (in the order of release and my opinion of them) were:-

1. Detective Comics #871 - Bad
2. Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 - Good
3. My Little Pony: Pony Tales Vol. 1 - Bad
4. Lumberjanes #1 - Bad
5. Werewolves of Montpellier - Good
6. Archer and Armstrong: Archer #0 - Ok
7. Gravel: Combat Magician - Bad
8. Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #1 - Ok
9. Lola XOXO #1 - Good
10. Anti-Hero #1 - Good
11. Letter 44 #1 - Good
12. Silver Surfer #1 - Bad
13. Grimm Fairy Tales: Helsing #1 - Bad
14. Insufferable #1 - Good
15. Afterlife with Archie #1 - Bad
16. Shutter #1 - Bad
17. The 7th Sword #1 - Good
18. Starlight #1 - Ok
19. Normandy: A graphic history of D-Day - Good
20. Hinterkind #1 - Good

I've got to admit that, by the end, I was pleasantly surprised overall. While there were certainly titles I expected to like which I didn't (Silver Surfer, Shutter, Lumberjanes), there was actually a lot more titles that I didn't expect to like but did (and that was pretty much everything except Insufferable). In fact, if not for my crushingly limited comic book budget, I'd seriously consider picking a fair few of themup full series.

That said, despite it making no change to my pull list, it was pretty fun to read new stuff and get a reminder that the big 2's superhero books aren't the be all and end all when it comes good books.

No comments:

Post a Comment