Wednesday 28 May 2014

My theories (and hopes) about the Netflix Daredevil show

So first thing this morning, while surfing the net, I came across the information (like practically everybody else) that English actor Charlie Cox had been cast as Matt Murdock/Daredevil.

I like this news for a few reasons. 1. I saw Charlie Cox in Stardust and I enjoyed that film and he carried the movie well. 2. Cox is still an unknown (for the most part) actor who is unlikely to bring his previous works to the role for people to compare. 3. Marvel have cast a relatively younger actor in their lead role which, from my thinking, validates a lot of the theories I had about the show.

What are these theories you ask? Well, since I first heard about this series, my main assumption became the belief that it'll be an origin story focusing on Matt (and maybe Foggy) just coming out of Law school and setting up his(their) own practice while, at the same time, he puts on the red tights. Now, given the actor's age this makes sense and it is also more plausible in the bigger universe as no mention was made in prior films/shows.

And if this is the case, then it will lead to my next theory, which is that the fixer will be the main villain. To me, this makes perfect sense as the entire series then becomes Law and Order crossed with Revenge. We'll get to see Daredevil taking out small time crooks in the hopes of being able to put away this big bad who was responsible for his father's death.

That said, I also theorise that the show might try for a tone between the dark noir essence of the Bendis run and the jovial, swashbuckling atmosphere of the current Waid run. This is because while Daredevil is a dark character, Marvel will want something lighter to draw in the younger crowds.

From that point on, my theories become more about my hopes for the show. These include my hope that the original yellow and red costume makes an initial appearance, which, if the origin angle does come into play may certainly happen at least for an episode or two. My other hope is the appearance of villains like Gladiator and Owl come about as hired hitmen during the show.

Then there is my other hope that Elektra DOESN'T appear at any point. Now, I doubt this'll happen (especially as the Middle's Eden Sher was rumoured to be up for a Marvel role. Someone tell me she wouldn't fit the Elektra bill perfectly) but I would be more inclined for the character to be held back until the Defenders mini.

At the end of the day though, as long as they bring the character across as identically as he has been to me in the comics for years, I don't care what happens or doesn't. But I'm looking forward to the series now just to see how far off the mark my assumptions are.

No comments:

Post a Comment