Monday 20 January 2014

Daredevil: Dark Nights #8 Review

As a Daredevil fan, I think this year has been a pretty good year. Not only has The Man without Fear's ongoing been an absolutely tremendous series, but he's also had two mini-series come out back-to-back. Now, as the ongoing series winds down (to be replaced by a whole new ongoing series straight after), the second mini-series, Daredevil: Dark Nights, comes to an end with it's eighth issue.

Tying up issues 6 and 7, issue 8 sees Daredevil mount a rescue attempt for not only his current client, but also Misty Knight, from the crime lord who just happens to be Misty's ex.

However, unlike the beginning of this series (as well as the the ongoing in general), issue 8 finishes a story that does not seem to be as good. Of course, this doesn't stop it from being a fun read, but Jimmy Palmiotti's entry to what is essentially an anthology series for the character is, while enjoyable, filled with a lot of things that really put me off.

The good points of this story are pretty apparent. The story is fast and frenetic, as action packed as a comic can get and the art is incredibly vibrant with many of DD's signature acrobat moves being rendered beautifully.

However, as I said, there are issues that keep me from enjoying it fully (though I wonder if I'm knit-picking), including the inconsistent nature of the art, with many panels greatly differing from those before and, more often than not, Misty's bionic arm appearing more like a normal arm. Also, and a big no for me, is the story's flirtatious nature between the two leads. Now, maybe I'm being too temperamental but I always believe that Misty Knight is Iron Fist's girl and so hooking up with Daredevil would never happen. That said, this is fiction so why should I care?

Nonetheless, despite it's flaws, Daredevil: Dark Nights ends on a relative high as it concludes a fun, enjoyable story. It's just a shame that the final issue wasn't as fantastic as the first issue, but I guess I've still got the series proper to give me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment