Saturday 4 May 2013

Loves Free Comic Book Day

So, today was one of the best days in the comic book calender. This isn't because I got to collect my books for the week (although, that was a mostly sweet event; mostly because, sadly, there weren't enough issues of Snapshot #4 in stock for me), but because, the first Saturday of May is a worldwide event known as Free Comic Book Day!!

Now, Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) is basically what it says on the tin; a chance to pick up certain comic books for the cost of nothing! Now, in my opinion, this is a great event because of its draw of new customers to shops, because people who aren't regulars in Comic book stores throughout the world, hell, even those who have never picked up a comic book, can go down to their local shop and pick a varied collection of works to help figure out if they like it and what they like, and this can only be a good thing (if only to keep great series with limited readership from getting the chop).

My free comic books


And so, while I picked up my regular stash, I grabbed some of these free comic books (after some persuasion) which was made up of the following:-
Disney Fairies: Tinker Bell - Now, in truth, this isn't my thing and so didn't read (I know, very wrong of me)
Infinity - Now this prelude to the Marvel event made me tempted on the main book when it comes along, but what interested me more was the preview of the new Warren Ellis Avengers book towards the back.
The Walking Dead - Now this was a nice read. It was nice to see other (pivotal) characters from the series given a sort of origin story
Beware the Batman - This one was a little more interesting than anticipated, given it's more for kids. That said, the Teen titans Go section didn't appeal to me for just that reason.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Now this was very fun (given that it's too light to be true Turtles) and has me tempted on getting the series.
Superman - This was issue 1 of the Lost Son story(which I've read) and so I skipped it. Is a good book though.
Star Wars - A fun read of what was essentially a preview book for many new Dark Horse titles. Most those stories I like (the Last Airbender was not one of those I liked).
Judge Dredd - Though it was nice to read a Dredd book, unfortunately, this one didn't do much to get me on board more permanently.

Now, in hindsight, I wish that Image had offered more of the anthology type freebies instead of just the Walking Dead FCB just so I could see some of what they plan to release in the future that I might want to pick up. However, I still think that the day did what was required and provided good material to help lead new readers into some of these books. But now I've read all this, it's time to get on with the stash that I paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment